• What have you learned intellectually about the topics we’ve covered so far? Please refer to at least four readings, videos, or activities that helped you learn this and explain why. What questions do you still have about these topics, and how might you use your Soliya experience to enrich your knowledge?
How languages change the way we think taught me that the language one speaks has a huge impact on his or her personality and mindset.
I also learned that every one has Unconscious Biases that are engraved into their minds because of several factors such as culture, the way their parents raised them, or even their childhoods. We took two IAT tests which showed how we can have unconscious biases.
We also annotated an article which taught us the difference between othering and Belonging and how one feels like they fit in and belong somewhere.
There were also 6 games we played which taught us about the many hardships of life such as taking care of a family and being responsible such as spent , making a living, surviving through the pandemic, and even making difficult decisions and sacrifices for others like sleep deprived mom. I might use my soliya experience to interact with people from other cultures and see how they might have different views than mine on topics that we have covered.
• What have you learned about yourself and the way you view the world so far?
I am openminded and outgoing person. However, I am not easily influenced by the world around me. I try as much as I can to think objectively about every issue and to avoid any biases that I might have.
• What questions do you still have about your own self and how you present yourself to the world?
How can I do better in terms of helping and understanding the people and the world around me. I present myself as a humble person who is willing to listen to everything.
• How do you expect your identity to affect your Soliya experience as you interact with people from other cultures?
Of course it will. We are human, and we all have unconscious biases and past experience that affect and shape our identities that are different than other poeple.
• How might you use the Soliya experience to enrich your self-knowledge?
I might use my soliya experience to interact with people from other cultures and see how they might have different views than mine on topics that we have covered.
• What have you learned in terms of interactions with other people?
That everyone’s unique in their own way; however, some people still have very similar mindsets depending on several factors such as culture and parenting styles.
• What questions do you have about how to become a better “global citizen”?
I need to understand other’s cultures and respect them and their believes. How can I be more openminded and be able to put myself in other people’s shoes?
• How would you like your Soliya experience to help you learn to be a good “global digital citizen”?
I would love to interact with people from cultures that I haven’t engaged with before so that I learn something new.
• How might you use your Soliya experience to enhance your ability to interact with culturally different people?
Because we might talk about topics that we’ve covered in class which can really tell about how a person think. I might use my experience to understand how other people from other cultures think and act, and apply my knowledge to better interact with them.